Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Expressive Eagles

As Roy said, there could be an endless list of captions written for this image, taken yesterday on the marsh

I'd characterize last week's weather as plenty of bark and a bit of bite. The climaterrorists were definitely in full effect with measurable snow in the forecast for about four or five straight days. Guestimates ranged all the way up to 10 or 12"+ (in Toledo, at least) for the storm set to arrive last Thursday night into Friday, but in actuality, we got closer to three inches. (School was, of course, still cancelled.) And a forecast of 1-3" seemingly on repeat for the daytime and overnights Friday, Saturday, and Sunday amounted to not much other than some nasty freezing rain Sunday morning.

Last night flirted with zero, but somehow, it just feels like spring is coming fast. Recent sunshine and a ten day forecast with more mid-40s than below freezing are one decent indicator. So is the noticeable extension in day length. The stretch is now noticeable both in the morning and in the evening. Tonight may offer my last (sketchy) opportunity for hard-water pond fishing this season -- at least locally.

A budding relationship with the Natural Sciences Technology Center at TPS (Toledo Public Schools) has me working on a variety of projects. Yesterday, I was in the classroom with a dozen and a half seniors presenting a "Fundamentals" lecture on habitat management. I see increasing opportunity for collaboration with Standing Rush's mission. More on that to come.

But for now, enjoy the scene of a couple expressive eagles. I'm not sure which I like more: the exuberant one on the right, or the stern-faced one on the left (seemingly unamused by the enthusiasm being shown by his partner). Reminds me of my twin boys -- or maybe even more my oldest son exhausting his older sister.

(P.S. Speaking of expressions, check out the new "Reactions" buttons on the bottom of each post. This is another great way to offer quick feedback and help me better understand what content people are enjoying/benefiting from.)