Sunday, October 21, 2018

Dawn of Another Duck Season

Sunrise on a dawn of a new waterfowl season
We're already more than halfway through the front end of a 60-day "split" waterfowl season, and I've yet to make it into the blind -- with a shotgun, at least. The "big duck" season runs October 13-28 (16 days) and November 10-December 23 (44 days) this year. As long as things don't freeze up solid first, we should have some time.

Due to hot weather, untimely heavy rain, and a busy schedule, I didn't make it out for any of the "early season" (teal/early goose) in September either. It's a little disheartening.

But recent photos, texts, and emails from happy leaseholders and punters help my morale a lot. Fortunately, our hunters have taken advantage of a great stretch of weather -- with consistent, below average temperatures, shifting winds (strong at times), and only a few heavier frosts (no sustained freezing temperatures). Conditions have been excellent, and the hunting has been solid.

I didn't realize until sometime in early August (when my son asked about practicing his duck calling) that literally all of my waterfowl gear had been stolen back in June when our field office and shop were burglarized. I guess I was preoccupied by the missing MULE, tools, and work-related items. I didn't notice at the time that a large camouflage duffel with literally all my calls, most of my shells, and most of my accessories (headlamps, face masks, camo ball caps, winter hats, gloves, etc.) had been taken. I assumed they were all safely tucked away in my basement at home.

Small groups of pintails (above), wigeon, and gadwall made their presence known just a day or two before Opener;
fortunately, they have also shown up in more recent reports from the blinds

Well concealed -- happy hunters in a
freshly grassed blind on the
West Marsh
Knowing that most all of your gear has been taken tends to take the wind out of one's sails. Knowing it likely was sold to outdoorsmen (and I use the term loosely in this context) who are willing to knowingly look the other way is even more frustrating.

But I think the fact that the theft coincided with my dad's passing is what really has had me floundering. I'm coming to the realization that this psychological tie is probably what has prevented me from motivating to get in the blind so far this fall. I'm at a point in my life (with four young kids) where I'm finding myself exasperated by the idea of more "stuff" -- even when it's stuff that is tied to activities that I love. The idea of having to go buy things to replace the things that have been stolen presents even more of an inner struggle.

But it's getting to be time to motivate. I have to get past the frustration and retool. I know that it's taken decades to accumulate what was stolen, so it won't get replaced with one or two trips to the local sporting goods store. But it's time to rebuild. It's time to see the ducks flying overhead and feel the adrenaline from what flies overhead. Dad would want me out there.
__________________________________________

Keeping watch in the West Marsh
Harvest surveys (a document that I ask our hunters to complete to report the quantities of waterfowl that they have harvested) have demonstrated a nice diversity of birds. Species harvested to date have included most all of the usual suspects -- mallards, blacks, wood ducks, gadwall, widgeon, pintails, bluewings, and greenwings. Obviously, that's good to see. A healthy diversity of birds using the marsh is a good indicator of a healthy marsh.

But what has me most excited are the personal accounts from our hunters:

The marsh is looking outstanding. We had tons of fun being out opening weekend!

Had the pleasure of taking my grandson out to the marsh on opening day!  What a joy that was -- 4th generation hunting at the Standing Rush Marsh.  Wow, how time flies! He thoroughly enjoyed the outing, the punt boat ride, all the wildlife (eagles, all the different ducks, kingfishers, even cormorants),  the whole marsh experience. He has kept telling me what a great time he had.

I've never seen the marsh so clear. You could never really see the bottom, or the fish for that matter.  There was a school of what I think were shad (hundreds...) swimming alongside the boat.  Pretty cool to finally see them!  Deer tracks in the muddy bottom, too.  Then seeing all the bulrush and cattails coming in.

I can't tell you how thrilled I am to see the marsh returning to it's glory.  In all the years I've been out there, I've never seen it in better shape, and it will only get better.