Thursday, March 26, 2020

Peaceful Trumpeters


Roy has been keeping me "connected" to the marsh virtually through regular photo and video sharing; fortunately, much of his work can continue safely in seclusion. This short snippet from yesterday (taken on his iPhone) shows "swans being swans" -- seemingly unaware (or unconcerned) of their shoreline voyeur enjoying their flirty trumpeting from only ~25' away


At the risk of going two full months without a post, I needed to share the video above. Clearly, a lot has changed in our world in recent weeks -- heck, in recent days -- but the beauty and serenity of the marsh remain.

I haven't set foot at Standing Rush since early February and that was to drop off some items into the bunkhouse -- our affectionate name for our field office/modest on-site lodging -- and to go for a short, impromptu walk. It's the longest stretch I've gone by far.

Now I wish I would have walked further . . . and more often over these last several months. My primary focuses have been on (1) lining up projects and funding for this year's field season, and (2) advancing my family's plans to take over my parents'/my childhood home. That left little time for much else. [Per usual, Roy has been busy with lots of other interesting (and sometimes less interesting) efforts, including: more muskrat trapping; northern pike acoustic transmitter surgeries; extensive water level management; dike maintenance; and permit writing. I promise to circle back on at least some of the highlights as soon as I'm able.]

But now that the world has slowed down considerably, at least in my personal corner of the world, I long for the time when we can come and go as we have grown accustom. I can hardly wait to get back to regular trips to the marsh and group tours. But at this point in human history, I am taking every precaution I possibly can for myself, my nuclear family, my extended family and network of friends, our community, our health care workers, our nation, and our planet.

Unless I'm going to the grocery store for curbside pickup or venturing out with my immediate family for some time (alone) outdoors, I'm staying home. Period. I pray more and more will continue to choose to do the same.