Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Mammals, Mammals Everywhere!

Despite the fact that we see plenty of evidence of coyotes on the property (mainly in the form of scat and tracks),
a motion sensing camera has proven to be the most reliable way to verify their presence 

This evening had to mark some kind of a personal record. In just over 90 minutes in a tree stand (4:15 p.m. till dark), I literally saw seven mammals underfoot: white-tailed deer (three -- none in range), coyote, red fox, Virginia opossum, muskrat, fox squirrel, and cottontail rabbit. I would love to know how many mammalian species frequent the marsh in total, but even with several bats, mice, shrews, etc., I'd be surprised if we could get much past a couple dozen.

Seeing the red fox and the coyote during the same sit is noteworthy -- especially when seen just 10 minutes or so apart. While the ODNR lists Erie County as "Medium" in terms of population for both canines, the statewide (and more regional) trends differ pretty dramatically for both furbearers.

Relative abundance based on bowhunter survey indices, 1990-2015 (ODNR, Division of Wildlife);
I placed them next to each other, for a side-by-side comparison (click to enlarge)

The regression lines above demonstrate the broader trend: coyote numbers have been on the increase across Ohio and the Midwest over the last twenty years, while red fox numbers have declined precipitously. I have heard anecdotally that the two species -- while significantly different in size and behavior -- do not commingle nicely. I'm not confident of the science behind this, but I do know (1) coyotes are highly adaptive to both habitat and food sources, and (2) the red fox was struck by a nasty and persistent bout with mange in the early part of the timeline detailed above.

While I can't readily put my fingers on population guestimates, I know from experienced local trappers that numbers of foxes went way down (like to near non-existent) maybe 15 years ago in northern Ohio. Now, they seem to be rebounding. Especially considering the fact that we have picked up as many as six coyotes at a time on the same trail camera (2016), it was fun to see both species tonight. This is only the second time I've seen a red fox on the property in going on three years.

Sunset from my stand this evening -- in addition to my furry visitors, I witnessed dozens of swans (tundras and trumpeters),
hundreds of geese, and maybe a thousand ducks enter the marsh -- not to mention the eagles
. . . not too shabby
As an aside, I should mention that I saw a groundhog as I pulled into the bunkhouse before hunting (mammal #8), saw a red-tailed hawk glide past with some kind of a miniature rodent (species #9) in its talons, and fittingly, caught a glimpse of a skunk (species #10) as I was pulling out to leave.

The seemingly ever-present raccoon was the only common mammal -- other than maybe a chipmunk or red squirrel -- that I didn't see tonight. My brother did see a mink from his stand last Sunday evening. And with recent signs from beaver (see previous post), our four-legged furry friends seem to be active as of late. I'm still waiting for visual confirmation of this last one. I'm also told an otter isn't completely out of the question.

For a comprehensive list of the most common mammal species found in Ohio, along with some basic information about each, see the ODNR's Species Index Guide.