Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Witnessing the Freeze -- "Making Ice Weather"

For a guy who loves duck hunting and ice fishing, this scene presents inner conflict -- this past week's fast freeze may
bring an abrupt end to our hunting on the marsh (as ducks push further south toward warmer climates),
but as a hardwater fisherman, I always love consistent "making ice weather"

Somehow, almost three weeks have passed since my last post. After nearly nine months of journaling online (staying disciplined and posting 2-3 times/week, on average), I slipped off the wagon. This last month has most certainly been a time of transition, not only in day length and weather, but also in my work habits and routine. Seasonal changes consistently bring a shift in my priorities, and the change from fall into winter unfortunately typically has meant less time on site.

Removing a floating blind meant
breaking an inch of ice late last week
Fittingly, this is my 100th post. Just like the weather these last few days, it represents a turning of the page from fall harvest to winter cold.

These pages have been viewed more than 10,000 times in roughly three-quarters of a year. I've tracked readers from several dozen countries, pushed myself to write on dozens and dozens of topics, and really enjoyed not only the process but the feedback we've received. It's turned out to be a two-way opportunity for education -- one of the five "pillars" of our core mission.

While winter priorities mean things like accounting, budgeting, planning, designing, and grant writing, I'm making a renewed promise to myself not only to get to the marsh at least once per week, but also to keep writing and posting updates. (Trust me, there is still PLENTY going on!) This discipline of writing is good for me, and hopefully it's good for any of you who benefit from even a "moment in the marsh."

Thanks for reading, and thanks for the ongoing encouragement. This has already been one heck of a ride!

Truth is, last Thursday/Friday's cold didn't technically cue our first freeze -- the actual first was untimely in that low 20s
happened to coincide with dead calm for one night . . . the night before the second opener for duck season (November 11th);
while that ice cover was short-lived (<48 hours), this one seems to be here to stay for a while . . .
while a few solitary holes persist, I'd call today our official freeze-up date, and with a forecast of highs below freezing
for much of the next ten days, I think I better get my ice fishing gear dusted off