Monday, July 2, 2018

Tough Week

Dad surprised me the spring of my freshman year in college when he arrived to pick me up with his boat and motor in toe. We spent a week together fishing our way home, through Minnesota and Wisconsin. We caught a ton a fish, had a TON of laughs, and ate a ton of burgers and coleslaw. It will be a memory that I will hold with me forever.

Last week will be a memorable one: it started with the peaceful passing of my 85 year-old father -- a tremendously consistent and positive influence in my life -- and evolved into a blur of family gatherings, community outreach, laughter, and of course, tears. Many of my siblings, in-laws, and nieces and nephews were privileged to be with him or very nearby as he took his last breath.

A newly acquired Hospice bed allowed him to pass where and how he always wanted -- in his home, surrounded by family, overlooking his beloved backyard. Mom was at his side. Fittingly -- considering Dad was my introduction to my passion for fishing and my mentor in loving all things outdoors -- I was getting some fresh air and was taking a few quiet casts on the dock just below his window as he died.

It has been a roller coaster of emotion.

Two days later, as I was driving to the marsh for a couple important meetings with potential contractors for our collaboration with Coastal Management, I got more tough news. Our field office and adjacent shop were burglarized on Monday night (June 25) or early Tuesday morning (June 26). 

The loss of this vehicle goes beyond its monetary value;
if you know of anything that might be able to lead to its
recovery, please contact the Erie County Sheriff's Office
(all tips can be made anonymously)
The perpetrators did their dirty work sometime between 6PM and 8AM -- likely in the cover of darkness. They knew what they were after . . . not only did they hot-wire and steal our Kawasaki MULE (our four-wheeler), they took a smattering of power tools, hunting gear (decoys/waders), and other miscellaneous equipment. Tracks through our adjacent field showed that they drove the UTV south from the property, but where they ended up is anyone's guess.

It was a shot in the gut -- especially considering the timing. Of our tangible losses, losing the vehicle will be the hardest pill to swallow. Despite insurance, we will be out thousands of dollars . . . and the time and inconvenience to rebuild and refortify. Maybe the biggest bummer though is that our trust and security has been compromised. We will do all that we can to make sure this doesn't happen again.

[NOTE: The Erie County Sheriff's Office asked that we post about this break-in. If you are local and can pass along any tips -- either regarding this burglary or any other local criminal activity -- they will take your information seriously and pursue it to the fullest extent that they can.]

This morning, I have to admit, I am still feeling pretty numb. I feel like a dish rag that has been repeatedly dunked and squeezed almost to dry. It is tough to refocus, especially with a mid-week holiday, but I think I'm ready for something closer to routine. Life marches on.