Friday, June 15, 2018

13 Special Trees/Happy Father's Day

I noticed last week that the new Tulip Tree just to the left of our entrance
door has already stretched just past the peak of our roof 
Last fall, I wrote a post that alluded to a pretty special addition to our property -- 13 special additions, more accurately. The thirteen large trees planted last November at the entrance to our field office -- or "bunkhouse," as we often affectionately refer to it -- provided some welcomed and tangible benefits right out of the gate: improved privacy from the sometimes loud and surprisingly busy rural highway nearby, a visual softening of the landscape immediately surrounding the building, and a promise of much-needed and much- appreciated future shade . . . at least once the leaves emerge again in the spring (in the case of the hardwoods).

Well, emerge they have . . . And so now it's time to tell the rest of the story. These beautiful trees are not just another tree planting project. They were made possible by a handful of generous donors (who have asked to remain anonymous).

Yesterday, Roy and I -- with the unexpected help of last year's intern, Nate -- placed posts and placards at the base of the first ten trees. My goal was to start to recognize some of the many people who either (1) have loved this marsh over the years, (2) have helped protect this special place, or both. Thirteen trees is hardly enough, so my apologies to anyone who has yet to be formally recognized. Trust that I have plans for more trees -- and more placards!

But I thought it important to start to identify some of the individuals and families who have been stewards of this land . . . and to recognize those who have served as models of stewardship as significant positive influences in my life. Thanks to all who have contributed to this collective effort. As I say nearly every day and have said since the beginning of this project, I feel blessed to be able to see and experience this story as it continues to unfold, one chapter at a time. Again, we look forward to enjoying the solitude and the protection that these trees can provide for years and years to come!


This species holds a special meaning for me personally -- there is a uncharacteristically broad specimen just outside
the kitchen window of the first house my wife and I bought just before we were married; I also planted two on 
the hill beneath  my parents' home when I was just out of college . . . they are growing happily alongside 
many others in the nearby woods and both are now 50'+ tall
Mom & Dad:
heartfelt thanks for all that you have done for me, and now my family, along the way --
Happy Father's Day, Dad!